Hi! We're a group of mums in the lovely Hertfordshire town of Ware who have found ourselves - like everyone else across the UK, and the world! - in an extraordinary situation. The COVID-19 pandemic means that we're all at home working, home-schooling, caring for relatives - and just trying to remain sane.
I'm Lisa, I'm 49 and running a small agency with my husband Darrell and another business partner. We've got a 10 year-old son, Charlie. And we also have my mum staying with us during the lockdown.
The group of mum friends I have made through the school has always been awesome, not least in terms of reminding each other about trips and moaning about the constant requests for £1 coins from the school. But in the last two weeks, this little group has become a lifeline. We've shared tears, laughs, silly pics and memes. And I'm sure there will be much more.
We're two weeks into the lockdown. The supermarket panic buying is over, and I guess we're all getting accustomed to the situation - at least as much as we can.
Personally, my emotions are a roller-coaster. I spent a lot of last week shouting a lot because I was struggling to manage my work with keeping Charlie occupied, and having to deal with my mum watching Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Doctors on catch-up at full volume at the other end of the room.
This week I've been less shouty, but still unexpectedly emotional at times. I'm okay in my own little bubble at home, but the moment I go to a supermarket (on very rare occasions), I've been completely overwhelmed at the reminder of the gravity of this situation. I also sobbed uncontrollably at the clapping for the NHS in our street yesterday.
I'm missing being able to see my Dad and Jayne, plus my brother and his family. And I'm obviously so bored of the company I'm currently keeping that I spent 10 minutes talking shit to the window cleaner (at a safe distance, obv) yesterday.
But I'm also trying to remember the positive things that are coming through all of this. The support I'm getting from friends, and the feeling of 'we're in it together' is huge. Outside of the shouting, and the stabby feelings, spending so much time with my little family is lovely. And I'm not rushing. Without having anywhere to go, and with no appointments and meetings to attend, the pace of my life has dropped considerably. Yes, it's stressful trying to work and home-school. But I'm not living life at 100 miles an hour. And that's really nice.
If you're still reading, sorry this is such a long post, but it's the first from me. Time for some wine now x
No comments:
Post a Comment